1.12.2009

First Estate Sale Adventure of 09

The holidays and the cold had been preventing me from going on my usual Sunday thrift shopping. NYCers: Housing Works' 50% off sale this week.

Yesterday was a question of either cleaning up my apartment or taking 2 trains and a bus to an estate sale in Rosedale, Queens. Guess which one I picked...lalala.

Turns out the F was running local, so I got to take that to Parsons Blvd (um, I didn't realize quite how far away that was) to catch the Q43. The long-ish rides, for me, are a way to catch up on reading or NPR, or Rachel Maddow podcasts. I listened to her '2008 Awards for Excellence in Areas TBD', which included "News Event Most Suited to be a Musical" (the Spitzer situation won).

I finally reach the stop for the estate sale, and the thrifting adrenaline starts pumping. I walk in and am immediately scared - some glass vases, picture frames and ugly dolls are in the front living room. However! Turns out there is "something in every room, including the basement." SCORE.

The house was really lovely and made me yearn for a house with space (read: not an apartment in Astoria.) There was some beautiful furniture - sewing cabinet, chest of drawers, scrolly desk - and I wish I had the means (car, storage space) to take, restore, and resell that kind of stuff, but not right now. I did a lot of looking, but in the end, not too much buying.

$7.00 for everything in the photo, including unused Japanese salad servers and S&P shakers, some Shiny Brites, an old nut chopper (teehee), and an atlas from 1940 with some great colored maps.

A decent start to my 2009 thrift shopping, and I'm already checking ads on Craigslist for next weekend.

2 comments:

Monica said...

HI!!!!!! I have been a thrift shopping maniac since I was a young, I am still at it, when the bug bites you its hard to stop!!!
I go by car of course, I used to live in a shoe box size apartment that was PACKED with stuff, I moved about 3 years ago with my Boyfriend to a small house rental - I grew up in Merrick and lived in Massapequa Park for 13 years and now further out W. Babylon, I will lead you to the flickr gods of collecting!, join flickr too and you will see all the other nutty collectors there are groups for pyrex and one called nifty thrift where you post your thirft finds!!! here is a link to my flickr and some of the people on my contact list that you MUST look at is Doublewinkys collection, http://www.flickr.com/photos/59975121@N00/

there are tons of other people on there who collect!!


I know zillions of thrift shops on Long Island and I got to estate sales and rummage sales all the time!!!!! I am glad to meet others who are OBSESSED with thrifting!!!
thats pretty much all I ever do, I went to Alaska, and I went to the salvation army a bunch of times when I was there!!!!

I dont think my email is on my blog , I will have to give it to you! have you seen my pyrex collection? I have TONS!

Anonymous said...

how funny, was at a housing works do myself this weekend, ahhh, us ginger lovers stick together!